After all the savoury recipes I’ve added lately, I thought it was about time for a dessert. I didn’t really plan for it, I just hapenned to have a pineapple at home and had no clue what to do with it..and I honestly didn’t want it to go to waste..seemed like making a cake with it was the best option at the time..trying to reason with myself it’s not just my greed , ”I’m just trying to be economical”.. oh well, any reason is good to make a cake,so let’s get on with it.
1 large, fresh pineapple
3 eggs- room temperature
2 glasses of flour
1 glass of sugar
200g of soft butter
6-8 tbsp of golden raisins/sultanas
1 vanilla sugar or 1 tsp of vanilla essence/extract
1 tsp of baking powder
extra butter for greasing the form
baking paper- to line the bottom of the form with
1) peel and cut your pineapple into chunks, set them aside for now.
2) use a hand-mixer or a wooden spoon to mix up the dough. Put your soft butter into a large bowl, add your sugar and vanilla sugar, mix until soft,light,pale & fluffy.
3) Once your butter is the right consistency, add one egg at a time, then mix it in well before adding the next. if the mixture looks curdled- it’s okay, it’ll come back together after adding the flour.(if you want to add any aromatics, such as coconut flavouring,rum extract or cinammon-do it now.) I like it natural.
4) sift your flour in,add the baking powder and mix until the dough is well-combined,thick and smooth. then add your raisins and mix them through evenly.
5) grease your baking tin and line the bottom with baking paper. scoop your dough in the middle, smooth it out with a spoon. place your pineapple pieces on top, pressing them in slightly. You could sprinkle some coarse sugar on top if you want to.
6) bake in a preheated oven, 170C for about 45-55 minutes, times may vary, just bake until the cake is golden and puffed up, and when you insert a skewer in the middle and it comes out clean- it’s ready. serve with some more pineapple slices, a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprinkling of cinammon.
The pineapple is only a sugestion, use any fruit you want, cherries,apples,blueberries,pears would also be great, enjoy!;)