I can honestly say I don’t really cook a lot of greek food. I’m not exactly sure why, because whenever we have it at the restaurant – it’s delicious. The greek are definitely masters of preparing meat, maybe that’s why I was so unsure about cooking greek-I was worried I’m going to just screw it all up, and that I won’t do the delicious greek food I know-any favours.
And then I came across a recipe for balkan sausages called cevapcici..and decided to make them greek style, along side some greek sides. Here’s how I made them, it’s really not that hard..so give it a go 😉
for cevapcici sausages:
600g of beef/pork mince
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 of red chili- seeds taken out
1 tbsp of dried oregano
zeste of 1 lemon
about 3 tbsp of chopped parsley
salt,pepper to taste
for horiatiki salade:
200g of feta cheese
1 jar of black olives
1 large, red onion, cut into thin slices
2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
1 red pepper- diced
2 large handfuls of iceberg lettuce
for the dressing:
1 tbsp of honey
1 tbsp of hot mustard
4 tbsp of olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp of dried oregano
pinch of salt
for the tzatziki sauce:
200g of greek yoghurt
1 cucumber- grated and squeezed out of extra water
salt,pepper to taste
1 tsp of honey
juice of 1/2 lemon
pinch of cayenne pepper
3 tbsp of extra vergine olive oil
additionally: 2 pita breads per person.
Now, I realise that’s a pretty long list of ingredients, but there’s not much cooking involved. All you need to do is prepare the sausages- the rest can be done in advance.
1) Mix your meat with parsley, garlic,chili, oregano,salt,pepper and lemon zeste. mix well until the mixture is well-combined, then pop it in the fridge to rest.
2) when the meat mixture is resting, take your grated cucumber- make sure all the excess water is squeezed out, place it into a bowl,add your salt,pepper, honey,cayenne,olive oil and yoghurt. mix well- your sauce is done.
3) take your meat-mixture out of the fridge and form into neat little sausages (as seen in the picture), you should get about 20. place them in a hot,dry pan, and fry off until nicely browned on each side. I’ve browned them off, then put them into the oven,just to cook through for another 10min, 180C, You could also use a bbq to cook them all the way through.
4) While your sausages are cooking, you can mix and dress your salade, just place all your ingredients into a bowl, (lettuce,tomato,cucumber,red onion,olives,red pepper ) mix well.
5) put all of your dressing ingredients into a small jar and shake- that’s your dressing. dress your salade and crumble the feta over it. Once all of your components are done- just place the tzatziki into a dip-dish,place horiatiki salade onto the plate, serve 5 sausages per person, add some pita breads you’ve heated up beforehand.