This dish was actually inspired by one of the dishes my mother in law made a few times, a rice pilav with vegetables and small shrimp.
I decided to change it a little bit,by making it into a risotto and using big shrimp,I think it turned out pretty well and I will be making it again for sure. I hope some of you will try it, as it’s pretty easy, you can use deep freeze shrimp, and the rest of the ingredients are really basic, so here’s my risotto alla primavera with shrimp 🙂
500g of raw carrot,peeled and diced very finely
2 large onions, diced finely
4-5 celery stalks, diced very finely
2 cloves of garlic, crushed of diced
250-280g of risotto rice (arborio,carnarolli or other)
2-3 heaped tbsp of cream cheese , f/e mascarpone
around 7 large deep freeze shrimp per person- unfrozen before cooking(more or less 500g)
150g of spring green peas ( deep freeze)
around 1l of hot chicken stock, kept in the pot,on the gas(not boiling)
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of butter
100ml of white wine-optional
1) melt the butter in a large,deep skiller, preferably with a heavy base, fry off your carrots,celery,onions and garlic until they’re starting to soften(5 min), then add your rice and mix it while it’s toasting off, coating it in the butter and vegetables. (2-3 min)
2) after the rice is a bit translucent , add the wine and mix, let it evaporate and when it’s almost gone, starting adding the hot chicken stock about 2 ladles at a time,not more. Keep stirring after each portion of the stock,to release the starch from the rice.Add the next portion of the stock only when the previous one is almost absorbed.
3) the cooking time may vary , depending on what brand and type of rice you’re using, it’s usually about 20 min, but you need to taste it every now and then. Keep adding the stock and stirring the risotto (you really have to stir it a LOT!) until the rice is cooked yet al dente. Then add the peas and heat them through.
4) Heat up another pan, add the olive oil to it, season your shrimp with salt and pepper and place in a hot pan, cook until they’re nice and coral in colour , they will also curl up when they’re done (about 3-4min on high heat).
5) once the rice is cooked ( doesn’t matter if you didn’t use all the stock or you used all of it and need more,then add a bit of hot water instead.) turn the heat off and add the mascarpone,let it melt in and stir it through.
6) check the seasoning of the risotto for salt and pepper, serve immediately in a deep bowl, then place seven shrimp on top, in a circle.