Summer is upon us!… well almost. Since it’s getting warmer and warmer, you might not want to cook your typical, big, filling, hot dinners. Neither did I, so last few days I took a little bit of ”quick and easy” approach.Here’s what came of it.Three ideas for no fuss dinners, using different cuts of chicken. Wings, breast and drumstick. All ready in about 30 minutes. (marinading time not included,it’s up to you how long you want to marinade it.)
1) Quick cherry tomato & coucous salad, hot&spicy chicken drumsticks+ avocado.
-Marinade your chicken drumsticks in salt,pepper,olive oil(1 tbsp),garlic powder(1tsp),onion powder(1tsp), worcestershire sauce(1tbsp) ,Maggi hot(1tbsp), tabasco or hot sauce( to taste, I like it spicy!), paprika powder (1/2 tsp) and cayenne pepper (1 tsp).
I let the chicken marinade over night, for a fuller,more intense flavour. Then I place the chicken on a baking tray, lined with baking paper and bake in preheated oven, 190C (fan oven) for about 30 min.
-for the couscous salade I use instant couscous. I soak it in hot,salted water according the instructions on the packaging,for 3min, then add some paprika,chili flakes and a tablespoon of butter to it. I fork it through,s o it’s fluffy, add cherry tomatoes which are cut in half, then add spring onions and avocado (at the very end just before serving).
Place couscous and avocado on a plate, then a portion of spicy drumsticks.Simple and delicious 🙂
2) Super easy chicken tortilla ( inspired by KFC twister wrap)
-Cut your chicken breasts accross and a little bit at an angle, so you get nice long and thick slices.You will get about 5-6 from each breast, including the tenderloin.
-Marinade the chicken in 1 tsp of dried oregano, 1 tsp of dried marjoram, 1tsp of onion powder, 1tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of sugar, 1tbsp of olive oil, 1tbsp of tabasco, salt,pepper to taste. Let it marinade as long as you want.
– Heat up a deep pan ,preferably heavy based and high sided, pour enough oil into it to deep fry the chicken.
-take the bowl you’ve been marinading the chicken in and add 4-5 heaped tablespoons of flour to it. Coat the chicken very well, so all the pieces are evenly covered,and press the flour almost into the chicken, so it sticks well. When the oil is hot enough, fry in batches until golden. (about 5-6 min).
-while the chicken is frying make the sauce, by combining equal amounts of mayo and yoghurt in a bowl.Season with salt,pepper and garlic powder.You can add other spices if you wish 🙂
-cut your lettuce and your tomatoes , they will make a nice bed for the chicken to rest on, also they’re the traditional veggies they add in a kfc twister wrap. (I remove the seeds from the tomato,so it isn’t too watery).
-when the chicken is cooked and golden,I drain it on some paper towel. I take my tortilla, smear about a tablespoon of sauce over it,place my lettuce and tomatoes, chicken goes on top. 2-3 strips max per wrap.
Wrap away and enjoy 🙂
3) Sweet & spicy Cajun chicken wings, with oven baked cherry tomatoes and a green salad
-Marinade your chicken wings in 1tbsp of honey, 1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce, 1tsp of tabasco, 1tsp of cajun seasoning mix,1 tsp of brown sugar(optional), 1 tbsp of olive oil, garlic and onion powder,salt pepper to taste. Coat well and leave to marinade.
-Preheat your oven to about 190C(fan), place the wings on a baking tray lined with baking paper.Bake for about 30min,or until nicely golden and a bit charred.
-While the wings are roasting, prepare your salad dressing, tomatoes and lettuce. Place washed lettuce in a bowl,I used a mix of different ones,but feel free to use any kind you like. Leave them for now, as you only want to dress them last minute before serving.
– Place a tablespoon of honey,juice of half a lemon,2 tsp of dijon mustard and 4 tbsp of olive oil in a small jar,season with salt and pepper to taste.Shake the jar, and here’s your dressing.You can also make in a bowl,then add all the ingredients besides olive oil,mix them with a fork and start pouring in the olive oil slowly,while whisking.That way it will emulsify nicely. Put your dressing aside,until you’re ready to use it.
– take some cherry tomatoes,any are fine, I like to use ones that are still on the vine,they’re much easier to handle.I rub them with salt,pepper and olive oil and place them in the oven,with the chicken for the last 5 min of roasting time.You want them to just heat through and the skin tu burst a little,not to cook all the way into oblivion 🙂
-dress your salad and toss it well,serve with a portion of the wings and the tomatoes,still on the vine.Makes for a nice,rustic effect 🙂